Friday, March 7, 2014

Ella's Third-Birthday Weekend

Ella turned 3 last Friday.  Dan and I both took the day off from work in anticipation of it, not that we necessarily had big plans.  We’ve fallen into this routine of celebrating small until the kid turns 5, at which time the kid can have a “friends” birthday party.  We’ve done this (the big, friends party) once, with Cal, just this past December. The precedent was set then.

Our small celebration usually entails sending the kid to school with goodie bags for the class, letting the kid celebrate her day with friends at school (also called Mommy and Daddy getting the full value of the daycare they paid for and getting a solid 6-8 hours of peace, quiet and productivity), picking the kid up early and heading to Choo Choo Johnny’s to celebrate with the immediate family.  The climax of the small celebration is a family party on the weekend either before or after the birthday where grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and a couple of adult friends come to our house to eat, watch the birthday kid open presents, sing "Happy Birthday" and eat cake and ice cream.  Dan and I have become a pretty well-oiled machine with this, not to suggest that I’m not showering ten minutes before guests are to arrive.
I used to have big expectations around the perfection of the Leatherkids’ birthdays.  Said perfection had less to do with the plans and more to do with the Leatherkids’ engagement in it and general happiness as we navigated our way through the plans.  I think a person should be happy on his birthday, his special day, his day to be celebrated.  With a few Leatherkid birthdays under my belt, I’ve learned not to have any expectations and just be pleasantly surprised IF they go well.  To the Leatherkids (at least in their Leatherparents’ presence), a birthday is just another day… another day to test the boundaries… to test our patience… to bring us one step closer to the Looney Bin.
Ella, before it was time to leave
So when our trip to Choo Choo Johnny’s to celebrate Ella’s birthday last Friday ended with Dan carrying a stubborn, screaming and coatless Ella out to the car, I was relatively unaffected.  When Cal told me that I was “boring” and that he didn’t like me after I told him for the fifth time that it was time to leave Choo Choo Johnny’s, I was simply frustrated as I would have been any other day. But not disappointed.  And I had no problem sending Ella to bed without books after she wouldn’t take any responsibility and action in getting ready for bed.
Our family party two days later actually went pretty well.  And by “pretty well,” I mean that Ella was actually pleasant most of the time.  I qualify that as “most of” only because she was pretty shy, disinterested and uninvolved at the onset of her party.  I have to deduct some points for pleasantness for that.  She turned it around when I asked her if she wanted to go downstairs to play with her cousins to which she answered, “can you carry me?”  I may have done a mental eye roll as I responded with a reluctant, “yes.”  Ella’s going through a needy, princess phase, so my tolerance for these types of requests is pretty low.  So when she told me that she wanted me to sit on the stairs and watch her play with her cousins downstairs, I declined and marched right back up the stairs full of hope that this would not cause a meltdown.  It didn't.
The party went pretty well – good food, good conversations, good stories.  Ella opened gifts, and we all sang “Happy Birthday” to her as she sat behind her purple – yes, they sell purple frosting – cake with three candles on it.  Shortly after that, most guests left.  Aunt Pam, Uncle Joe (both family friends) and Grandpa R stuck around a little while longer to entertain the Leatherkids, mostly with the magic of creating static on a blown-up balloon and sticking it to things.
To end her special day, Ella insisted that I read to her and put her to bed.  I was tired and afraid of the stress that was a head of me; but I complied.  I remained patient as I constantly reminded her to stay focused on getting ready for bed.  I remained patient as she fumbled her way through getting ready for bed, talking incessantly about every step in getting ready for bed as she did so.  I held my breath as I helped her brush her teeth, wondering the whole time when she’d start fighting me about it like she normally does.  And when she picked her two books (both of them Fancy Nancy books), I initially told her that we could read one because they’re too long (they’re really not) and then corrected myself and read them both to her.  It really wasn’t fair that she pay the price for my lack of patience when it was really history, not the current situation, that was making me impatient.
Her special day ended with a request “to rock for a little bit,” which we did.  And then I put her into bed, put her blankets on in proper order, pulled her jammy pants up, made sure she had Sheep and three of her Minnies (including Itty Bitty Minnie, one of her birthday gifts), turned the closet light on, adjusted her blankets, told her “Happy Birthday,” gave her a kiss, complied with her request for a “kiss and a hug,” told her “I love you,” complied with her request for “one more kiss and a hug,” hurried toward the door and said “I love you” as I did so, and then turned to look at her when she said, “Mommy, I love you,” (this, I like – she signs "I love you") and then told her “I love you, too."
It was a good end to a birthday weekend that started a little rocky.  Happy 3rd Birthday ONE MORE TIME, Boo Boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment