Saturday, March 29, 2014

My Favorite Thing from Yesterday (5) - I Got Proof that Ella's Playing Me

After many frustrating weeks of putting Ella to bed and dealing with her stubbornness, her unreasonableness, her redundancies, her seemingly downright nutty requests, I witnessed proof last night that she is knowingly playing me.  Some may find this disturbing; me, I found it inspiring.  I will win.

It was subtle, but I saw it.  I had just gotten her into her bed, put her blankets on while she rattled off her usual nonsensical string of phrases while I rattled off my own string of what she must think is nonsensical BECAUSE THEY NEVER MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO HER.  I told her that I love her and that I would not close my door.  And then I warned her that I was going to give her "one more hug and kiss," and then stand up and leave.  I told her I didn't want her asking for another hug and kiss...  I would say "I love you" on the way out the door...  And I would not close my door.  And I didn't want her asking me about any of that.  "Okay?" I ended my shpeel.

She nodded.  So I gave her "one more hug and kiss" and threw in an "I love you."  Our eyes met.  My heart started to race.  I formulated my approach to exiting.  I was building up my resolve to hold firm that I would not get suckered back in to "one more hug and kiss."  I felt like I could do it.

Meanwhile, she continued to stare at me.  She's waiting for me to start to leave to ask for that damn hug and kiss, I thought to myself.  So I flinched my body upward; and as quickly as I did that, she flinched toward me and opened her mouth as if she was going to say something.  When she realized I wasn't standing and leaving, she stopped herself.  She grinned, a conniving, I-own-you kind of grin.

I have known that she's playing me for awhile now, but this was the first time I witnessed her actually think about pushing my buttons.  It was all reaction before.  Apparently, there's a precise time to starting her bit.  And I caught that.

Sadly, that's my favorite thing from yesterday.  Oh, and Ella did eat all of her dinner at IHOP a few hours earlier.

(Note:  I'm posting this a little after midnight.  "Yesterday" in this case is Thursday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment