Sunday, March 30, 2014

My Favorite Thing from Yesterday (6 and 7) - Ella Sang and Cal Cuddled

I missed my post yesterday. The day just got away from me and ended with a win at bowling to move us up one place to 5th and then a celebratory visit to B Dubs afterward with our teammates Pam and Joe.  Didn't get home until midnight and had no energy or material to write anyway.

So I'll write about a couple of my favorite things from yesterday to make up for it.  It'll be brief.  Trust me.  It's been a rough weekend.

My first favorite thing from yesterday was the image of Ella singing along to Frozen's "Let It Go."  She was standing tall on a stool in the kitchen, throwing her arms in the air with every "let it go" she belted out.  She had been running around the house in nothing but undies all morning, not sure exactly why other than she had spilled milk on herself during breakfast, so it really was quite a scene - a virtually naked Ella, standing tall, smiling and swaying as she sang the only lyrics to the song that she knew.  It was quite a moment - I loved it.

It ended up being just a moment, too.  The moment quickly soured as naptime neared.  Ella has been a beast to put to bed lately (really, a beast in general, but at her worst before any type of bedtime).  Coming off of the nightmare that putting her down for her nap had been for me, I immediately went to Cal's room (he was reading in his bed) and told him in my most desperate, sad tone, "Cal, will you cuddle with me?"

And this became my second favorite thing from yesterday -- he did.  We lay in his bed, face to face and arm in arm, for five, maybe ten minutes.  He initially patted my shoulder as if to tell me it'd be all right, I'm a good mommy.  My frustration, anger and feelings of complete failure lowered to tolerable levels, and all it took was some cuddle time with my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment