Saturday, August 8, 2015

Cal's Jays

While eating our cereal this morning (Cal eating "Mommy's cereal" (Honey Bunches of Oats), me eating a mix of Life and Frosted Flakes (which is soon becoming the new Mommy's Cereal)), the highlights from last night's White Sox-Royals game came on.  We were both distracted by it and watched the highlights to the end.  Cal already knew the result of the game and was only watching it because... well... because it's baseball, and he watches ANYTHING baseball these days.  I didn't know the result of the game and let out a disappointing "AWWWWW" when I eventually learned that the Sox had lost, 3-2.

The White Sox are the Leatherman family's favorite team.  I told Cal this a few years ago and have reiterated it many times since then.  Going into this season, if you asked him who his favorite team was, he'd tell you confidently, "the White Sox."  Good boy.

He was all about the White Sox until the All Star game came around.  I don't know if it's that the only White Sox player to make the team was Chris Sale (who, incidentally, didn't get in the game to throw a single pitch) and realized life might be better putting his fandom behind another team or if it's that he was so impressed by another player who was in the Home Run Derby that he couldn't help but root for any team that player is on; but all of a sudden, Cal is all about the Blue Jays.  Really?  The Blue Jays?  I didn't know anyone outside of Toronto called himself a Blue Jays fan.

When we play baseball in the backyard or at nearby fields, Josh Donaldson is always at bat or playing the field now.  Once, he even pitched.  Josh this, Josh that.  I now find myself calling Cal, "Josh D" when we play baseball.  He loves it.  Who wouldn't -- Josh D is an excellent ballplayer.

But the Blue Jays?  I tease him about his liking the Blue Jays (while deep inside parts I might not ever reveal to him I find myself proud of him for being different, for having some reason to like a team other than because someone told him to).

So the White Sox have always been my favorite team; but I've never hidden the fact that I love the Yankees.  Right or wrong, I do.  I love their history.  I love their tradition.  I love Derek Jeter.  I recently told Cal this.

So after my "AWWWWW" upon learning that the White Sox had dropped their game to the Royals yesterday, I turned to Cal and asked him with a snotty tone, "So, did YOUR Blue Jays win?"

He answered quickly, "Yes."  I think he even told me the score.  And without skipping a beat he followed that, a big smile on his face, with, "Did YOUR Yankees win?"

I laughed.  He got me.  And, no, I don't know if they won.  I should probably find that out.

[Added later: Dan informed me that the Yankees did, in fact, lose last night... to the Blue Jays!  Oh, my.  How perfect was that, only in a blog kind of way.]

No comments:

Post a Comment