Thursday, December 5, 2013

Weather Week, Day 4 - Torrential Rain

A couple of days ago as we all sat at the dinner table, Cal announced that he knew what "torrential" meant and then proceeded to tell us when we challenged him that it meant "heavy."  He even used it in a sentence -- I don't recall the exact sentence, but the term "torrential rain" was at the heart of it.

Dan and I looked at each other and exchanged our familiar unspoken, "did he really just say that?" and proceeded to express our excitement over how much he is learning these days. Lately when we ask him where he learned these types of things, he'll answer, "I just know it."  I guess that's better than, "the Smarties told me," which is what he was saying last month.

Anyway, knowing he had a captive audience (and, of course, liking to draw), Cal whipped up this gem:

Hurricane with Torrential Rain (12/3/13)
It appears to be unfinished.  Either that, or he was drawing the start of a hurricane with torrential rain.

The label with "150" in it is intended to be 150 mph, which is the speed of the hurricane wind.  This is consistent with what he told me yesterday on our way to his swimming lesson (hurricane winds are 150 mph).

The partial earths on either side of the picture are pretty excellent. Cal knows that hurricanes and typhoons are essentially the same thing, that the former occur in the Atlantic Ocean and the latter occur in the Pacific Ocean.  I'm pretty sure that's what he's showing us with these partial earths.

So that's Day 4 of my week's worth of weather-related posts, with a minute to spare.  I'm glad Cal's drawing some pictures to help me keep this up!

No comments:

Post a Comment