Friday, August 3, 2012

If You Can't Wake Her, Join Her!

We started closing the door to Ella’s bedroom when she sleeps as a deterrent to Cal loudly barreling in and waking her up before she naturally woke up.  That’s how I remember it, anyway.  Both of our kids are good sleepers and are generally not awakened by the typical noises of the house.  But Cal had started to develop a habit of running into her room and waking her up prematurely exclaiming things like “Elly Belly!” or “Elly Bo Boobers” or “Wake up, Baby Girl!” ... and, of course, tossing stuff animals into her crib.  It’s not that she minded it.  Ella loves basically anything Cal does.  Dan and I minded it.  A closed door might make him think twice about it, and it did and continues to do so.
As a general rule, I don’t ask Cal to go wake Ella up in the morning because I don’t think he’s able to distinguish when it’s okay to wake her up versus when it’s not.  (It’s only okay when Dan or I say it’s okay.) Feeling a little lazy this morning and recognizing it was time to wake her up and get her ready for school, I gave in and asked him if he wanted to wake Ella up today. I barely had the question out of my mouth and he was running toward her room.
Imagine my surprise when I walked into Ella’s room to this scene:



Well, that's a new technique!

2 comments:

  1. Stand up (sit down) comedy act?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... there are a lot of kids in our neighborhood... since he's up before the crack of dawn, maybe he could be the neighborhood kid waker upper?

    ReplyDelete