Monday, April 13, 2015

A Week in the Life - Day 2

We had two potty accidents in the middle of the night last night.  I say "we" because it affects all of us, some of us less than others.  Somehow, I'm the chosen one to deal with them as Dan's sleep just gets interrupted.

"Mommy, I'm wet," said the little voice at the side of my bed.  I don't know how long she was standing there before I heard her.  My eyes found the clock.  1:58am.  I did the calculation -- I had only been asleep for an hour and a half.

I felt her.  She wasn't wet.  I thought maybe there's a chance she caught herself peeing and made it to the bathroom with only some slightly wet undies.  "Did you change?" I asked her.  She nodded.  Bless her heart.  Ella has very vew accidents in the middle of the night and always does what she can to clean up before waking me for help.

We made our way to her room where I felt her bed.  It was soaking wet.  Bummer.  So I stripped her bed, wiped it up and put new bedding on it as she quietly watched me, eager to climb back in and get back to sleep.  Blue Blankie was wet, and she took the news that she'd have to sleep with Pink Blankie instead pretty well.

Bed made, she climbed back in and almost went right back to sleep.  She didn't like the bigger "rainbow blanket" I had put over her, so I yanked it off and threw (yes, threw) another pink baby blanket on top of her.  It barely covered her toddler body.

I took her bedding downstairs to the laundry room, threw it in the washing maching and started it up.  I headed back upstairs where I saw Cal's light still on.  I went in to turn it off when I noticed a circle of pee under his buns (yes, we call butts "buns").  The debate in my head about whether or not to wake him to get this cleaned up didn't last long; so I woke him and told him he needed to change while I changed his bed.  He complied without a struggle.  Bless his heart.  This went pretty quickly, and a couple of minutes later, I was heading down with more bedding to throw in with that which was already being washed.

I didn't wake up with my alarm a few hours later, but I did wake up with just enough time to get my workout in before having to get ready for work.  Really, it wasn't enough time; but the thought of saving the workout for later just didn't thrill me.

Cal came down the stairs, fully dressed and ready for school shortly after I had made my way back up to the kitchen.  Good sign.  Dan followed shortly after and told me that he had hopes of catching the earlier train, leaving me 17 minutes to shower and get ready for work.  I honestly thought I could do it. I'd blame it on Ella asking me to quickly braid her hair (a "pony braid"), but I've gotten pretty good at that and can whip that up in less than a minute.  Needless to say, we probably missed our early train by 5 minutes, really, because I just couldn't get myself up with the first blast of the alarm.  The Leatherkids were great, cooperating fully and complying with our declaration that "we needed an efficient drop-off, Leatherkids," a phrase used often as we barrel down the streets of our subdivision, after a harried departure and with less than a reasonable amount of time to complete the drop-off and catch the train.

Once 9:30am arrived, I found myself in back-to-back meetings at work until 4pm, necessitating that I multi-task during these meetings in order to be productive. I did manage to get some analysis done but need to use some time tonight to finish a few more things up before I start another meeting-filled day tomorrow.  And so it goes.

We picked the Leatherkids up from school at around 6pm. I was on the receiving end of a good report from Ella's teacher.  This seems to be happening on a daily basis now, a complete 180 from a month or two ago when it seemed that every day involved a "Carla, I need to talk to you about Ella," followed by something that Ella had done which was not so terrible but not so good, either.  Moving Ella up to pre-school a few months early is
Ella drew this today!
proving to be exactly what she needed.  She's more involved in classroom activities.  She's applying what she's learning at school at home.  She's interested in letters and cooperating at "mental "exercises, whereas before being in pre-school, she just didn't seem to care.  I told her current teacher that I feel like she's exploding into so many new abilities.  "She's drawing pictures of people... and a cat... and writing words."  I am genuinely excited about this. Her teacher then showed me Ella's list of four words, written by Ella, that describe herself:


"Sharing"

"Cycler"

"Movie"

"Pretty"

And at the the bottom of the paper was Ella's name, written by her in mixed case and with her signature lowercase "a" at the tail.  It's a circle with a hook coming out of it.  And just by the way, she nailed it.  Those words do describe her!  She's a great sharer, loves to ride bikes (whether attached to mine or on her own), enjoys watching movies and is super pretty.

Once home, the kids and Dan went outside to shoot some hoops (again!) while I fixed dinner.  This was the first of the meals on this week-of-meals plan that I had found and for which I had bought groceries yesterday; and it didn't go so well.  First, I chose to make the Thursday meal first, which, it turns out you're supposed to do the meals in order -- my tomatoes were supposed to have been roasted during the making of meal one and saved for meal five.  Second, both my food processor and blender leaked homemade tomato soup as I tried to puree it.  It was messy and took longer than it should have; and we were finally eating our tomato soup and toasted baguettes with cheddar cheese and proscuitto at 7pm.

The kids actually ate the soup and had half of the last donut each for dessert before heading upstairs for showers, books and bedtime.  We're still doing the routine recommended by our pediatrician to help make Ella's bedtimes better.  The routine is working.  So we read to Ella first (we each read one book to her), said our goodnights and headed over to Cal's room where I read one book to him.  I can count on one hand (maybe two fingers) how many times he questioned Ella's getting two books while he only gets one since we started this.  Someday, I'll thank him for that.

Despite its messy start, today ended up being a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment