Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Leatherfamily Tells Knock-Knock Jokes

At dinner tonight, Cal decided to tell a knock-knock joke.  It would be a good ending to a no-so-good dinner -- there was just something funky about the black-eyed peas in this new salad I had been wanting to try out on the Leatherfamily for a few weeks now.  Maybe it's because I've had the black-eyed peas for nearly that same time period.

"Knock knock," Cal said, looking at Dan.

Naturally, Dan responded, "Who's there?"

"Wha'd'ya want?!" Cal responded and then flashed a big, proud smile.  We all laughed.

Dan then announced that he had one.  "Knock knock," he started.

Cooperating the way one is supposed to didn't come as naturally to Cal, who said nothing and just looked at Dan.  Dan coached him a bit and tried again.  "Knock knock," he said.

"Who's there?" Cal asked.

"Banana."

"Banana who?"

"Knock knock."

"Who's there?"

"Banana."

"Banana who?"

And we all know how this one goes.  Eventually, after one or two more "bananas" than I would have done, Dan introduced "Orange" into the mix.

"Orange who?" Cal got suckered in.

"OR-ANGE you glad I didn't say 'Banana'?" Dan responded.  We laughed one of those forced "Bwahaha" laughs, but the kids didn't really "get" it.  Dan explained it to Cal a little, and he may or may not have understood.

Then Ella announced that she had one.  "Knock knock," she started it, grinning from ear to ear.

"Who's there?" Dan asked her.

"ME!" Ella responded proudly.  Now this was funny (even though it really wasn't), so we laughed about this one.

My arsenal of knock-knock jokes was depleted once the "Banana-Orange" one was used.  I remember there being an endless supply of knock-knock jokes, and I can only remember one of them.  Thankfully, there's the internet... and, well, "Big Bang Theory."

Later, I turned to TBS to get my daily dose of "Big Bang Theory."  I was also doing some lite work, so I was really only half paying attention to the show.  That was, until I heard this from Sheldon, "Knock knock."

The guys responded reluctantly, "Who's there?"

"Hugh."

"Hugh who?"

"HUGH should have listened to me..."

How fitting that that episode played on the day we did our own share of knock-knock jokes.  Too bad I didn't hear it before dinner so I could have used it with Dan and the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment