Saturday, September 21, 2013

A Week in the Life - Day 6 (Three Short Stories)

Every day with the Leatherkids seems to have at least one share-worthy happening and/or conversation, and I thought I'd share three of those from today. 

Short Story #1

After having run the first leg of my 4-plus-mile run today with Ella in the BOB, I was running the second leg with Cal, who was his chatty, inquisitive self.  We had just finished some kind of Zombie story (I had asked him to tell me a story so I could get a break from being prompted to talk as I ran) when he moved on to the topic of living things.

Cal: "Mommy, all living things have legs, right?"

Me <short of breath>: "Well, no."

Cal <surprised at my "no">: "What?"

Me <with trees all around me>: "Do trees have legs?"

Cal <without skipping a beat>: "They have one leg."

Me: "Good point."

Maybe I should have stuck with a fish as my example of a no-legged, living thing.

Short Story #2

Mid-afternoon, Ella and I were at Ella's friend Maddie's house for her birthday party.  Ella had been frolicking in the "jumpy house" when she made a quick exit and showed up at my leg with a cringed face and grabbing the front of her skirt.  This is the universal sign for "have to go potty."  So I picked her up, darted into the house and found the bathroom right away.  I simultaneously pulled the pink stool to the front of the toilet and started pulling Ella's skirt down when the urine started to flow.

Not recognizing her accident at all, Ella asked: "Is that Maddie's stool?"

Me: "Yep."  Then my eyes locked in on some wipes on the back of the toilet.  Saved!
 
Ella: "Are those Maddie's dipes <wipes>?"

Me: "Yep."

Ella: "Why you diping the floor?"

Me: "To clean up the mess we just made."

Ella: "Is that Maddie's floor?"

Me: "Yep."

Ella <now off the potty, pantless, in my arms and washing her hands>: "Is that Maddie's soap?"

Me: "Yep."

Ella: "It smells GOOD."

Me: "It does."

Ella <looking at the towel I was grabbing>: "Is that Maddie's paper towel?"

Me: "Well, it's her towel, towel."

Ella: "Her towel towel?"

Me: "Yep."

Now, at this point in the whole accident episode, Ella was still standing bare-bunned in an unfamiliar house while my bag with a change of clothes for her was sitting in the back yard where the party was going down.  What did I do?  I whisked her out of the bathroom and to the people-less entry of the house and told her to stay right there, that I was going to sprint to the back to get her change of clothes. And without hesitation for her to think about the fact I'd be gone for a few seconds, I took off in my sprint and returned just as she started walking bare-bunned to find me.  I quickly got her dressed in the entryway and then back to the party.

Short Story #3

Just before bedtime, I was helping a showered Cal get into his "jammies" (which happened to be his new Angry Birds t-shirt that he had worn all day and a pair of Spiderman pants), Cal somehow had gotten on the topic of cheetahs.

Cal: "If a cheetah catches a gazelle, it will jump really high."

Me: "What will?"

Cal: "What?"

Me: "What will jump really high?"

Cal: "The gazelle."
 
Me: "Oh, yeah?"

Cal: "Cheetahs can't catch gazelles."

Me: "I don't think that's true.  Why do you say that?"

Cal: "Because gazelles have horns and they'll poke the cheetahs."

And it continued a bit from there. Maybe he was right. I can't remember everything that we learned from that Lion documentary we have.  All I remember from that one is that elephants kick ass a lot more than I thought they did.

Once dressed in his pseudo jammies, Cal took off running speedily from his room to Ella's and back and then from his room to the bathroom to brush his teeth. This is because he WAS a cheetah.

Cal then read "My Very Own Name" to me, which was very exciting for both of us.  First of all, he's 4-1/2 and reading THAT story; second of all, the story had a few cheetah scenes in it.

He then announced from out of nowhere that leopards are faster than cheetahs.  "I don't know about that.  Are you sure?" I asked.  "Yes," he responded and then drew this picture as "proof," putting his own special, leopard touch on the letters in "fastest":



No comments:

Post a Comment