Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Week in the Life - Day 4 (Mommy's Night Out)

It's 11:33pm, and I'm just starting my Day 4 blog entry right now, sitting at the desk in our toy room/office, lights off and typing quietly.  I'm hiding from the footsteps I hear upstairs and the shadow I see from the doorway at the moment. I am so lame.

I got home from my workday/night "out" about 10 minutes ago, and was "greeted" by Ella on the landing of the stairs.  She was wide awake and holding her blankie and Big Minnie and asked me to hold her and carry her upstairs.  What?  I did and placed her in her bed only to be told "go to your room" and "don't go downstairs."  This is the usual banter from Ella at her normal 7:30pm-ish bedtime -- I didn't expect it when I got home after 11pm.  I expected to go to her room to find her sleeping soundly and to whisper, "Good night, sweet Baby Girl. I missed you tonight.  I love you."  Instead, after laying those words on her, I had to talk her off the proverbial ledge about where I'd be going upon leaving her room, lying that I'd be upstairs when I knew I had to first get my blog entry for the day done.

After just leaving Ella's room, I found Cal sitting on the end of his bed in his room, wide awake and looking for something from me.  Wtf?  I "helped" him back under his covers and listened to his must-tell bit about what's going to happen on September 30th.  This would have been news to me if I hadn't seen the permission slip lying on the front, passenger seat of the car with all of the information about the trip to the farm on the 30th.  But I did, so it was old news.  I still listened intently and told him that I was so excited about it because he'd finally get to ride the infamous "white school bus," something he's talked and dreamed about since starting at his current school.  My guess is that we are not alone in our excitement for him -- it's no secret to anyone that riding the white school bus has been at the top of Cal's bucket list for some time now.

Anyway, I tucked him back in and had another few back-and-forths with each of them before heading down to write my blog entry for the day.  I'm tired, tipsy and totally ready for bed.  This is about all I can muster for Day 4 of a Week in the Life right now, though many questions are bouncing around in my head with the general theme of why both of my kids are wide awake and looking for Mommy time at 11:30pm on my night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment