Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Cal's Take on Motherhood

As I finished making Cal's bed tonight, having gotten some help from him (where "help" means that he secured one corner of the bottom sheet onto his mattress), I increased the level of encouragement I had been laying on him to pick the book he wanted me to read to him.  I don't know if it was my delivery or if he had been watching me, but he sensed something that was telling him that I was tired and/or struggling.

He asked me, "Do you wish you weren't a mom?"

Taken aback by the question that seemed to come from left field, I immediately responded honestly, "No, why do you ask?"

"Because being a mom is hard work," he answered.  "You have to waaaaaaash clothes.  You have to connnnnnstantly  yell at your kids.  You have to send your kids to school E-V-E-R-Y day."  He then paused.

He had hit on three things that I do in my role as a mom, but I had to ask, "What else?  Anything else?"

"No, that's it." 

Ahhh... if only.  It must be nice to live in his little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment