Sunday, October 18, 2015

Whatevs

I fell asleep on the couch this past Friday night.  I got through enough of Bill Maher that I remember the special guest coming out, not that I remember who it was.  This was maybe around 9:30pm, give or take a few minutes.

I woke up at around midnight (12:03am, to be exact).  The TV was still on, and I remember changing the channel to ESPN -- I wanted to see who had won the Royals-Blue Jays AL championship game 2, not that I really care much about that series other than finding myself quietly rooting for the Blue Jays because Cal likes them.  This post-season, I am a Cubs fan.  Yep, I said it -- I'm rooting for the Cubs.  That feels a little weird. Anyway, I figure I was awake for 33 seconds before I was asleep again.  I never did find out who won, at least, not until Saturday.

The next thing I knew, it was after 3am.  I popped up off the couch, immediately turned off the TV, grabbed a glass of water and headed upstairs.  When I got to my room, Dan was out cold and snoring, and a little person was lying in my spot next to him.  It was Ella.  For a moment, I considered moving her back to her bed, except that she had her arm curled around Zoe, our cat, who was snuggled up tightly along the line of Ella's armpit.  I didn't have the heart to break up this adorable couple, so I quickly decided I'd continue my sleep in Ella's bed.

So, Ella is really good at getting up and getting herself dressed in the morning.  She generally does so very quickly and without much, if any, noise.  She pops out of bed in her jammies and emerges from her room fully dressed (well, minus the socks that we struggle to get her to wear) in no time at all.  And since we've added a low-hanging pole to her closet to hold her dresses, we haven't needed to help her at all -- she does it all herself.

That I was half asleep in her bed when she came into her room first thing (i.e. before 7am) Saturday put me in a prime position to witness Ella get dressed in the morning.  I don't know why for sure, but Ella didn't acknowledge my presence in her bed when she came in to get dressed for the day, nor did she do so at any point before she left her room fully dressed.  She came in, went right to work and left without saying a word to me.

And here's what I witnessed:  Ella took her nightgown off first, and then her undies. She was mumbling something, I don't think I ever knew what.  Still mumbling, she threw both in the hamper in the corner by her dresser and proceeded to grab a pair of clean undies from her underwear drawer.  When she slammed that drawer shut, her Chris Sale stretchy guy (the giveaway for that White Sox game we went to at the end of the regular season), which was propped up against something because stretchy guys don't stand on their own, fell on her dresser.  Ella, still mumbling, noticed this, stopped for a moment and said aloud, "Whatevs," and then picked up where she left off with mumbling and continued to go about her business of getting dressed for the day.

I found this to be so amusing.  "Whatevs."  What 4-year-old kid says that, matter of factly, alone in her room when something tumbles on her dresser with the closing of a dresser drawer?  "Whatevs!"  Clearly, Ella does.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely charming! Kids learn the "whatevs" so early.

    ReplyDelete