Saturday, July 18, 2015

A Chat with Uncle Rueben

We Leathermans went to a friend's daughter's graduation party earlier today.  As one might imagine, there were many people of varying relationships to the graduate; and we were the "friends-of-the-family" variety... all four of us.

Despite initial appearances, the Leatherkids are not shy.  They're very comfortable talking to just about anyone, adults included.  So it was no surprise that Cal had no problem interacting with Uncle Rueben.  Fortunately, Dan was around to witness some of it, the perhaps best of which follows:

Cal <to Rueben, the two of them sitting on the same swing seat>: "So, how old are you?"

Reuben <sensibly>: "I'm not telling you how old I am."

Cal: "You're not a girl."

Rueben: "Well, I know I'm not a girl.  But I'm still not telling you how old I am."

Cal: "How old do you think I am?"

Rueben: "Eight."

Cal: "No, six."

Rueben <foolishly>: "Well, you can add 50 to that, and that's how old I am."

Cal: "You don't look 56."

Rueben <pleasantly surprised>: "Oh, yeah... how old do I look?"

Cal <laughing>: "Uh... 92.  In four years, you'll look 96."

Rueben <joking>: "Well, if you keep it up, you might not see seven."

I don't know if Cal got the hint that he had insulted Uncle Rueben, but shortly after this exchange, he offered to make a trip to the kitchen for some treats for the two of them and returned with a plate full.

No comments:

Post a Comment