Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Meaning of 8:30

I got my run in this morning.  I had a window of slightly more than enough time to run my 3 miles before I knew Dan had to leave for a meeting at 8:30am, and I jumped on the opportunity. As I ran the second half of the last mile, I wondered if Dan was starting to get antsy that I wasn't home yet, which then led me to coming up with Dan's and my definitions of "leave at 8:30am."  Here's what I came up with:

Dan: Feel antsy that we're not ready to leave at 8:20am.  Start heading toward the door at 8:23am, with whatever and whomever is ready to go.  Wait (im)patiently for everyone else to catch up and wonder why it is everyone can't just leave on time.

Me: Work on any little thing that needs to get done in the house or for the trip until 8:30am.  Scramble to gather everything needed for wherever we're going, incent (which might involve some yelling) the kids to do the same and then make a mad dash for the car, 5... 10 minutes late.  There might be a chance we can still get to wherever we're going on time.

Then I wondered which one of us each of our kids would be like and concluded Cal will be like Dan and Ella like me.  Cal, having had his backpack on for 20 minutes already, insists he's going to be late for school if we leave for his before-school program at 7:55am (his bus leaves at 8:45am).  And Ella is the grandest of a dilly-dalliers, thinking of one thing after another that she wants to bring with her to wherever we're going.  She's usually behind me in getting out the door.

Somehow, we make it work.  It's not stress free, but it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment