Wednesday, May 13, 2015

79-0

It was my turn to take Cal to his swimming lesson last night and, on the flip side, Dan's turn to watch Ella and put her to bed all by himself.  This is the most ideal scenario -- while Ella and I both do enjoy our Mommy-and-Ella time, we're just a bad combination at bedtime.  I'm not sure why (probably because I've exposed some weakness to her that she's picked up on), but I am the person (victim?) she chooses to beat down at bedtime with incessant "I love yous," innumerable "I have something to tell yous" and just general dragging out of bedtime with just... one... more... request (demand?)... to make.  And this has happened enough that my tolerance for it is low and my reaction to it is generally overblown.

So when it's my turn to take Cal to swimming, there's an extra skip in my step.

Cal's swimming lesson went... well... swimmingly.  He's really made some good progress with the breast stroke, at least being able to execute the arms stroke and legs stroke (separately) correctly.  He worked hard during his lesson and was just a general joy to be around both before and after it.  This was a continuation of the day I was told that he had had -- his before-and-after-school teacher informed me when I picked him up that he had been a good listener and had repeatedly used good manners.  Needless to say, I was pleased; so I wanted to treat him to something different, just out of the blue.  The treat was a Culver's concrete mixer.

So we stopped at Culver's on our way home from swimming and ordered three concrete mixers -- one for Cal, one for Dan and one for me -- and then continued our way home. Worried about what might be in store for me early in that commute, I turned to Cal and said, "I sure hope Ella is in bed and asleep when we get home."

Cal's response was priceless.  Without skipping a beat, he replied, full of sarcasm, "And I hope the Canadiens are winning 79-0."

Yes, Cal, my hope did seem really unrealistic.

Turns out, it actually wasn't.

And the Canadiens lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment