Sunday, August 4, 2013

A Leatherkid Kind of Morning

Cal arose from his makeshift bed on the floor next to our bed at what I thought to be after 7am today.  I don't remember exactly what he said after uttering "Mommy" as he peeked over the top of my bed, his eyes just-woken-up puffy looking at me.  But he was talking about something.  Eventually, I found myself engaged in this conversation with him:

Cal: "If you have grey hair and you're old, you're going to die."

Me <uncomfortable with how casual he was with the topic>: "No, that's not really true.  We don't need to talk about stuff like that."

Cal: "Nanny had grey hair.  She died when I was born."

Me: "Well, you were 8 months old <a clarification that was probably not needed>, and she was 94 years old.  She lived pretty long -- that's pretty old."

While I was having this wonderful conversation with Cal, Dan was getting Ella out of her crib (yes, at 2-1/2 still in a crib) and taking her potty.  Once finished, Dan marched an undied Ella into our room to join the "fun" and climbed back into bed next to me.  Nuts! I thought.  He had no plans to take the kids downstairs and let me sleep in.

Still lying in bed, groggy and foolishly believing I was relaxing and didn't need to get up yet, I thought maybe they'll play together for a bit.  They did, noisily.  At one point I popped up to peek at the goings on at the foot of our bed and saw a now bare-bunned Ella smiling wearing her undies on her head... and face.  It looked like she had on one of those contraptions you might see in one of the "Saw" movies.  Nice.

The next thing I knew, a long-sleeved button-down shirt was being shoved in my face.  "Mommy, can you put my shirt on me?" Cal was on the other end of it.  I responded, "Okay," ignoring natural questions popping into my head like long sleeves in the August heat? and a button-down shirt on a lazy Sunday? and proceeded to unbutton it so I could put it on him.

As quickly as he was handing the shirt to me, Cal was changing his mind.  "Nevermind.  I don't want to wear that shirt."  Fine by me.

Meanwhile, Ella was standing next to me (still in bed) saying something important:

Ella <pointing to her undies, now back on her buns>: "I don't have peanuts in there."

Me: "No, you don't have a penis."

Ella: "Cal Daniel have peanuts."

Me: "Yes, Cal Daniel has a penis."

Ella: "I don't have peanuts."

And then I looked at my watch.  6:54am.  Ugh. Only 6:54am... so much more time in my day than I originally thought... so much more time for more Leatherkidisms... I am a lucky mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment