Thursday, July 5, 2018

In What Comic Would You Be?

Early yesterday afternoon, Cal was wrapping up what could have been his 20th Garfield episode of the day when he engaged me in the following conversation with him.

Cal: "Mom, if you could be in any comic world, what would it be?"

Me: "Do I get to also pick the character?"  This was important.

Cal: "Yes."

Me: "Okay, Marvel, Wonder Woman."  Wonder Woman kicks ass.

Cal grinned and shook his head.  Clearly I don't know my superhero lines very well.

Me: "Oh, it's DC, right? I'd pick DC, Wonder Woman."

Cal was disappointed with this choice.

Me:  "What, you'd pick Garfield, right?"  I knew this is what he wanted ME to say.

Cal: "Yes. What Garfield character would you be?"

Me: "Hmm... I'd be Odie. He's just blissfully happy."  He is.

Cal: "You wouldn't be Arlene?"

Me: "Who's Arlene?"

Cal: "The pink cat.  Garfield's girlfriend."

Me: "No. And be treated like that?"  Hell no.

Cal: "But you like Garfield!"  I do.  Always have.  Why is that?  I like his attitude.  And that he's a cat.

Me: "Well, yeah. I just wouldn't want to be his girlfriend. Who would you be? You'd be  Garfield, wouldn't you?"

Cal: "Yep."  No hesitation.

I don't know how I feel about this.  I mean, Garfield over Avengers, Thor?  DC, Batman?  Marvel, Deadpool?  What does this mean?  I'm not raising a kid who aspires to be fat, lazy and apathetic... am I?

Not a chance.  And I don't want to be Odie, either -- I want to be Wonder Woman.

1 comment:

  1. With all due respect to your knowledge of contemporary fantasy movies, I'm with Cal. Garfield is not terribly complicated, his antics are funny, and I can identify with him more than with those goofy fantasy characters. I'll listen to that cat far more than I will to something called Thor.

    ReplyDelete