Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Christmas, Giblin Style

They say that there are two things that a person can count on in his life -- death and taxes.  I've always wanted to challenge that as I've found that there are many things that I can count on -- my Ella refusing to wear socks during the worst of morning winter rushes when I have a meeting necessitating that I catch a train no later than the 7:32am, my Cal using his sleeve as a napkin to wipe the mix of spaghetti sauce and milk off of his mouth and chin, my Dan complaining about how most NBA players travel every time they touch the ball or an NFL lineman grossly celebrating his single tackle but never his missed tackles, old friends making me laugh, new friends asking me if I'm okay, my mom, my dad, my sister.

And the Giblin Christmas.

Every year on the Saturday before Christmas, many, many... a crazy many Giblins, either in name, in blood, in marriage or all of the above, gather on the southwest side of Chicago to celebrate Christmas together.  They've been doing this for longer than I even know -- I only started attending this affair after I had been dating Dan for a year, nine or so years ago.

I'll admit, it's still a little overwhelming, and I know all (most?) of the Giblins now.  There are just so many of them, and now that the cousins are getting married (goodness, not to each other, of course) the clan is only getting bigger.  Names are repeating and getting tougher to remember.  I've learned to be awkwardly comfortable with and get my "hello, Merry Christmas" kisses out of the way right away, finally knowing -- or thinking I know -- the name of the person I'm kissing for practically all kisses.  I don't, however, think I've yet kissed Nicky and/or Lea "hello" -- they are identical twins, and I just... can't... tell them apart.  This is not a knock against me, though -- Dan can't, either, and he's known them for 30-ish years.  But lots of hello kisses are something you can count on at the Giblin Christmas.

By the time we get there, most of the aunts (Dan's mom included) are in the kitchen preparing all of the food.  In my early years, I think it was all homemade; and it's been a mix of homemade and catered in recent years.  There's always a fantastic salad, sometimes chicken mornay and other times chicken alfredo and rolls; and this year was the first year I remember mac and cheese and chicken strips for the kids.  Whatever the specifics, it's always a good spread followed by homemade desserts.  But plenty of good food is something you can count on at the Giblin Christmas.

There are SO MANY kids running around, mostly Leatherman offspring but some similarly aged Giblins.  And the funny thing is that there are rarely any parents chasing them around or scolding them -- they're little magnets, these kids, stuck to each other from the moment they walk through the door at the Giblin Christmas party, through their half-eaten dinners, through the opening of their Christmas gifts, to changing into their jammies, and only pried apart when it's time to leave.  Yes, kids who are generally well behaved, contained and just naturally enjoying their time together is something you can count on at the Giblin Christmas.

Grandma Gibs, the matriarch, the single person responsible for all of these people gathering together that Saturday before Christmas every year, is always present, always beautiful and always smiling.  I often wonder what's going through her head as she witnesses all that's happening at the party.  Pride.  Amusement.  Pleasure.  Love.  That her ten children are so close to each other and seem to value family above all else is remarkable and falls on her shoulders, and this is something that you can count on witnessing at the Giblin Christmas.

Waiting for gifts from Gibs
And the gifts.  Grandma Gibs gives presents to all of the kids who are (I think) not of high school age.  The kids know this and, I'm certain, look forward to getting their gifts from Grandma Gibs every year.  In recent years, this one included, family friend, Tom, has played Santa and handed out the gifts to the kids, lined up around the Christmas tree and each patiently waiting for his name to be called.  Yes, the kids opening gifts from Gibs is something you can count on at the Giblin Christmas.

Perhaps my favorite moment at the Giblin Christmas is the first note sung as this signifies the start of the musical part of the evening.  I generally find a seat in the back, if I'm not already sitting, and prepare to listen to the acapella carols.  This year, I had tired Ella on my lap, making it entirely more peaceful than usual.  An aunt usually leads the kids for a round of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and/or "Frosty the Snowman," almost never getting the words right, making it even more entertaining that it is otherwise.  The aunts and Gibs always sing "The Little Drummer Boy," each one having a specific role to play in the song.  Uncle Mike always sings "Oh, Holy Night," which he kills and gives me chills as this is my favorite Christmas song.  Cousin Bill always sings "Ave Maria" (or is it "Santa Maria"... or are they the same song?) fantastically.  Aforementioned twin cousins Nicky and Lea sing a couple of duets, generally not Christmas songs but beautiful nonetheless. Every once in awhile, this year excluded, Gibs sings "Danny Boy."  And this year, we even had a special "Grinch" skit performed very Grinch-like by Uncle Jim.  Yes, entertainment and beautiful singing is something you can count on at the Giblin Christmas.

The Giblin Christmas happens snow or shine, and sometimes people just can't make it. Aunt Nor, Uncle Dyko, Aunt Holly, Laurie you were missed this year -- Merry Christmas!

I love that the Leatherkids are a part of this, the Giblin Christmas, a strong family tradition and perhaps the first thing (other than Mommy and Daddy) that they've learned to count on in their lives.

3 comments:

  1. This is a skillfully crafted piece, Carla. Your use of repetition at the various paragraphs' ends works so well. But the neatest thing of all is that such a warm, wonderful tradition like this still continues and effectively slows the world down, shuts off smart phones, and revisits and celebrates family love. That you and the kids get to be regular participants in this magnificent, annual family event carries on the importance of being part of a very special whole. I wasn't there and I was touched!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're a group of special people. Love the ones I know, and the ones I e only met...and I know I'll love the ones I've yet to meet. This was well written, Carla... you've captured their spirit.

    ReplyDelete