Sunday, March 22, 2015

Happy Birthday to Me

Yesterday was my birthday.  I've had enough of them that I don't really play it up and promote much hype, if any, about it.  Actually, I think it's always been that way -- I'm just not someone who likes a lot of attention.  I have low expectations around the celebratory nature of the day... my day.  A simple "happy birthday" from the ones I love is perfect; and if a couple of ones I love don't get around to it, that's cool, too.

To expect my Leatherkids to suspend the craziness that comes with their being kids on my birthday... in my presence... just for me would be ridiculous and setting myself for a letdown before 10am.  So I didn't. I did, however, use it being my birthday as a reason or justification for my seemingly irrational, unfair or harsh response to them many times throughout the day.

Instead of explaining my rationale and getting sucked in to a long whine session with my Leatherkids -- typical of my interaction with my kids when I'm telling them something they don't want to hear -- I delivered a short, "because it's my birthday."  I think I first used it as justification for not letting Cal watch an episode of Ninjago.

"WHYEEEEEE can't I watch an episode?!?!!!" he probed, completely aghast that I would deny him this entertainment that makes him happy.

"Because it's my birthday, and I want to watch NCIS," I responded.  I did.  Watching NCIS is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I was going to watch an episode or two of the marathon of NCIS episodes that day because it was my birthday

When Ella jumped on the bandwagon shortly thereafter seeking to watch an episode of "Sophia" (I'd rather watch Ninjago), I nipped it in the bud and insisted they leave me alone in my room "because it's my birthday."  And then they actually obliged my request and scurried out of the room, certain to return.
Cal drew this for me when I caved and said he could
watch a Ninjago episode if he drew me a picture for
my birthday.  He overachieved by drawing an
8-scene comic of the Bulls destroying Kentucky
followed by setting up for the Blackhawks game

I used it a little later on our way home from Cal's friend's birthday party.  The kids were acting up in the back seat of the car... I don't know, I think Ella was holding Cal's book that he wasn't interested in reading until she held it... Cal leaned toward Ella and started to reach for her, Ella started crying about the prospect of being squeezed, and I jumped in with, "C'mon.  Please stop it.  It's my birthday."  They stopped.

I tried to blog in the afternoon but failed miserably because the kids were yapping at me for one thing or another.  Cal wanted computer time.  Ella wanted to paint.  Neither wanted to get along with the other, and both couldn't help but complain about it.  And I just wanted to write.  Eventually, it came to my pleading, "can you just leave me alone? It's my birthday."  I don't remember if they did.

I even used it on Ella when, at the tail end of our 3-mile run outside, she announced that she'd take a shower with me when we got home "because I'm sweaty from running."  Not. She had been sitting in the jogging stroller the whole time eating her (nutrition) "bar."  I probably take more showers with someone than I do by myself. This really isn't my choice.  But my birthday shower was going to be of the solo type; so when Ella asked "why?" when I told her that "Mommy would be showering alone," I responded with, "because it's my birthday."
Ella and I took a selfie during our run


So despite my low-key take on my birthday, I did feel special on my day.  I made some of that specialness happen with my "because it's my birthday" responses. I did get some special attention from others in pockets througout the day, too.  I was delivered presents and breakfast in bed, the former opened in the presence of my excited gift givers and the latter eaten alone and in the quiet of my room (aside from the first episode of NCIS that I caught, of course).  It was sunny and relatively warm, making for a nice run with Ella.  My dad came over early to spend some time with me before Dan and I would be leaving for our bowling league while he stayed and watched the Leatherkids.  My friend (and bowling teammate), Pam, made a "Happy Birthday, Carla" sign and taped it to "my" chair at bowling.  This garnered a few "happy birthdays" from fellow league members.  After a couple of sub-average games, I managed to bowl a 187 my third game,  saving my series -- who wants to bowl a bad series on her birthday?  And then we went next door for some drinks, pizza, fun banter and some birthday ice cream slathered with whipped cream, which I promptly removed (I'd rather watch "Sophia" than eat whipped cream) and gave to the boys who were eating a slice of tiramisu.
My birthday sign (in Garfield font)


And then today I had a nice lunch with my mom at a restaurant in downtown that I've been looking to try for a couple of months now.  We shared a bottle of wine and a nice conversation.

Even the many "happy birthday" messages posted on my Facebook page played a role in making my day special.  

It was special.  Happy birthday to me and thanks to everyone who helped make it so.

No comments:

Post a Comment