Friday, September 12, 2014

Cal's Long Shower

Cal took what might have been the longest shower in the history of both man and dinosaurs this morning.  It started at the tail-end of mine, ran parallel to my getting ready for work and then ended only because I shut the water off after several pleas from Dan to Cal that he end his shower.

Cal’s showers, when executed solo, are typically long because he likes to stand in the steamy shower stall with the stream of water hitting his neck and shoulders before trickling down his body as he flicks some of the water from the stream onto the glass shower walls.  I find this to be really annoying, sometimes because I get hit by errant water droplets that fly over the shower walls but mostly because of what he’s not doing in the shower.  After repeated reminders to wash himself with soap, I eventually open the shower door, lean in, grab the bar of soap and do that for him… which is also annoying because I inevitably get wet doing this.
This morning, between the reminders to wash himself, we had a shareable conversation that started with Cal telling me that he saw a man at school with a “thing” on his head as he made a swirling motion with his hand around his head.  “He’s Korean,” he told me.

Hmmm… “I don’t think he’s Korean, Baby Bear,” I said to him.  “Maybe Indian or something,” and I think I added that he might be from Afghanistan.  What do I know?  I really have to study up on the Middle East.
He insisted that, yes, this man with the wrap on his head was Korean and then transitioned to Asia.  “Asia is a continent,” he told me.  “But it’s not an island.  Australia is an island.”

At 5-1/2, the kid knows his continents!

I don’t remember exactly how it went after that.  I do remember he mentioned Africa, said it was a continent and thought that maybe people from Africa also wear wraps on their heads.  I told him that there are a lot of different countries in Africa and I don’t think that’s true across the board.  And behind my proud smile, I then reminded him again to wash himself with soap, which he finally did.

No comments:

Post a Comment